|Real Madrid vs. Manchester United|
13th February 2013, 19:45 GMT, UEFA Champions League, Last 16, 1st Leg,
REAL MADRID vs. MANCHESTER UNITED at Santiago Bernabu.
REAL MADRID vs. MANCHESTER UNITED last meet in 2002/03 UCL Last 16, when Real Madrid won 6-5 on aggregate. The suspense is building as this is the one of most awaited fixture of this year and a rare one in Europe too.
Football, rivalry, cup, emotion, pressure, fans, pride… everything’s here.
- Talking Point:
- Cristiano Ronaldo, former Red Devils hero, currently is top goal scorer for Real Madrid, is he the only threat to Man United? Yes, he can be. If you have seen Madrid playing this season you might have noticed Benzema, Di Maria, Modric. They have not been so effective this season. They are not feeding goals or either scoring them. But still he's a threat for United as he have scored a hat-rick and assisted a goal on Saturday's 4-1 win vs Sevilla.
- Can Robin van Persie or Rooney lead Manchester United to the Cup run? Possible. Rooney scoring 8 goals in last 8 matches and scoring for England in a win over Brazil has showed that he can't be underestimated, Chicharito the Super-SUB can also make some unexpected runs and bring opposition team in an expected threat and United wingers have linked so well with van Persie who is totally unpredictable andd can score at any time. We have seen it all this season. Most important thing is that van Persie has almost scored in all the important fixtures of the date so we can hope that RvP will score in this important fixture too.
- Negative side: We have seen Man Utd struggled at defensive positions this season conceding about 25 goals or something. Players like Ozil, Benzema, Alonso, Di Maria, and Modric can possess a direct threat to the Man United defense but thanks to Vidic and Rio, they both are fit and they are back at back. Fergie has hinted this week that there will be a massive squad rotation, so the game against Everton on Sunday will be a totally different squad than that we will see in Spain, 4 or 5 players no doubt will play both Everton and Madrid, in next 3 days. At Everton, I hope Vidic will be played with Smalling, Rio to be rested. United back four Rio, Vida, Rafael and Evra will be key players for United to stop Madrid midfielders, it will be hard. It will be Rafael/Smalling’s job to keep CR7 out.
|CR7 playing for Real|
- Positive Side:
Robin van Persie scores!! We have heard this 25 times this season. Rooney as well a threatening player always as well Chicharito. Fergie have some great options for the attack and in midfield too. Carrick, Cleverly, Scholesy, Anderson, Giggsy, Kagawa, Nani, Young, Valencia...
· Fergie can choose two wingers & two CM’s or one CM and play the diamond formation, it’s up to Fergie and we know well that he likes to give surprises. Nevertheless, Manchester United has scored more than 60 goals already this season in all competitions, well, that’s the great thing, so we can expect a good entertaining game on Wednesday night.
- Readers View on goal.com:
Manchester United are been favorites to win this fixture with 49.5% of votes, while Real Madrid are given 41.5% to cruise on and 9% people think it will go on all squares.
- Prediction: Real Madrid 2-3 Manchester United
>>** People say Real Madrid are more talented than Manchester United, but I say Manchester United are more consistent than Real Madrid this season.**<<
All your comments are welcomed.